Dog Trainer School – Curriculum Overview
The curriculum at our dog trainer school provides you with a complete education to become a dog trainer and launch a successful dog training career.
It begins with core foundation knowledge about puppy behavior and progresses through every key topic you’ll need, from learning dog body language and obedience training techniques to behavior problem solving and business building.
What makes CATCH the best dog trainer school?The overall program is based on flexibility, tons of learning by doing, sessions with your Mentor Trainer, and our philosophy of positive, reward-based training.
Overview of Your Phases:
- Phase 1 – Your Core Foundation for Becoming a Dog Behavior Expert
- Phase 2 – Understanding Dog Behavior, Body Language, and Vocalizations
- Phase 3 – How Dogs Think and Learn
- Phase 4 – Hands-On Training: Basic & Advanced Obedience Skills
- Phase 5 – Tools of the Trade – Equipment Makes a Difference
- Phase 6 – Learn How to Lead Your Own Group Classes
- Phase 7 – Dog Behavior Problem Solving
- Phase 8 – Learn How to Lead Your Own Private Lessons
- Phase 9 – Shelter Externship: Hands-On Dog Training, Behavior Evaluations, & Helping Dogs in Need
- Phase 10 – Launching Your Dog Training Career and Business
- Final Assessment and Graduation
Your Path to Graduation – Overview
- Complete All Studies & Hands-On Activities for One Phase at a Time >>
- Pass Phase Exams at the End of Each Phase >>
- Begin More Advanced Training with Dogs >>
- Get Paired with a Local Mentor Trainer >>
- Receive Feedback from Your Mentor Trainer Through Skills Evaluations >>
- Continue to Pass Phase Exams at the End of Each Phase >>
- Practice Private Lessons with Clients >>
- Pass Final Exam >>
- Graduation & Certification!
The CATCH Curriculum is broken down into 10 sections of study, which we call phases. At the end of each phase, you will take a Phase Exam to test your knowledge and skill on everything studied in that phase. When you pass each Phase Exam, you are ready to move onto the next phase.
When you have completed all 10 phases with passing grades, you will be ready for your final exam. The final exam will ask you to demonstrate your knowledge from all 10 sections of the curriculum. When you pass the final exam, you will receive warm congratulations from the entire team at CATCH as you have now officially graduated from our dog trainer school as a CTA Certified Dog Trainer. Now it’s time to launch your dream career!
Curriculum Details – Professional Dog Trainer Course
Your Dog Training Program has Four Major Learning Features:
1. Study Materials – An incredibly informative and effective selection of:
- The CATCH Guide to Becoming a Professional Dog Trainer with Study Guide
- Interactive Software in the Online Student Center
2. Hands-On Activities – Highly engaging, skill-building exercises you will perform with live dogs and people. These include:
- Training dogs
- Studying dog behavior in the field, in real time
- Teaching people
- Creating training plans
- Solving behavior issues
3. Practice Questions -Thought-provoking questions you’ll answer on your own after studying new material. These questions will:
- Give you a deep understanding of everything you are learning
- Strengthen your memory of the concepts you are studying
- Convert your new knowledge into skills
- Prepare you for Phase Exams
4. Phase Exams – Tests of your knowledge and skill at the end of each phase.
- When you pass each Phase Exam, you move onto the next phase of learning.
- In select phases, Exams include your Mentor Trainer’s feedback on your hands-on technique, plus review of your training plans and skills in a virtual private lesson. This will give you a chance to practice everything you have learned and provide excellent preparation for leading real training lessons in the near future.