With the holidays coming up, maybe you want to make your dog an extra special gift with your own hands? And hey, if you make more than one, you could turn it into a donation for shelter dogs… either way, we have an awesome DIY project for you! These hardy fleece rope toys are the BEST for tug games.
Here are the materials you’ll need:
- Fabric scissors
- Polar fleece type fabric (check your local thrift stores and upcycle a blanket!)
- You’ll want long strips – at least 45″ for an (approx.) 2 ft tug.
- You’ll need 4 strips 3-5 inches wide, depending upon how thick you want your final tug to be.
We’ve got the easy step-by-step instructions for you right here. The first one is the hardest to make, but the good news is that the dogs don’t care what it looks like, as long as you’re playing with them!
- Thick fleece should be cut to thinner widths unless you have a gigantic dog who opens really wide! The thicker fleece makes chonky tugs!
- If you are making a tug for a Toy Breed, use thinner fleece and cut it 1-2” wide. (I’ve even made little tiny key chains for service dogs using thin strips.)
Most importantly, have fun presenting this special new gift to your dog and introduce it with a good round of play!